Saturday, October 25, 2008

Innovation Literacy

Dictionary.com defines "Innovation" as something new or different.  It defines "literacy" as "being knowledgeable in a particular subject or field."  (Notice, I used Dictionary.com and not "Websters" - don't even know where my Webster's Dictionary is :) !)  

Throughout the readings and website browsing this week, I found myself constantly coming across these two terms-"Innovation" and "Literacy" (ie. Civic literacy, innovation skills, media literacy, creativity and innovation, etc.).  I thought to myself, "I wonder how one becomes literate in innovation?"  Dreaming up something new or different has never been easy for me.  I am much better at expanding, building upon, making better, an original idea.  My "thinking outside the box" usually means changing the color of the ribbon!  I have spent hours watching Professor Wesch's videos and class projects, YouTube creations on the newest technologies, and listening to the Duarte ppt. and I am amazed by the "something new" that I see and hear.  I also am writing down dozens of website references to "check out" for my own journey to be more tech savvy!  I want to put all of it to use NOW, but find myself with a desire to take notes with pen and paper because it feels safe and therapeutic.  It reminds me of where I have come from in my education and culture and how vastly different my children (and grandchildren) will view, use, play, and live with their technology.  

The Net Savvy reading painted a picture of "net generation learners" who are confident, comfortable, and trusting with technology and its' instantaneous, creative world.  Although I see myself as embracing technology, I have also been aware of my cautions and hesitations of the unknown future.  I think the more we can keep a pulse on the social habits and behavioral norms that the tech world is bringing to our culture, the better we will be able to respond to the changes in how we learn, teach, play, love, and build meaning.  Because technology changes are happening so fast on such a global level - the world has never experiences this kind of "revolution" before.  It's a little exciting, a little un-nerving, and a little breath-taking all at the same time! 

No comments: